The liver is one of the largest organs in the body. It is a major part of the digestive system, and responsible for more than 500 functions in the body. The main ones include:
- Detoxification of our own by-products as well as outside chemicals and toxins
- Breaking down fats
- Filtering and cleaning the blood
- Creating and storing hormones
- Creating and activating enzymes
- Storing vitamins and mineral reserves
The primary function of the liver is detoxification. This is where waste products from bodily processes and toxins from the outside are transformed so that they can be safely excreted from the body via the stools and urine.
Signs that out liver may not be functioning well include:
· Digestive issues
· Waking in the night
· Strong smelling urine
· Skin issues
· Trouble losing weight
Tips on how to support your Liver
Include the following Foods
· Broccoli / cruciferous vegetables
· Dandelion root tea
· Green tea
· Green leafy veg
1. Prioritise Sleep - This is where the bodies rejuvanates and repairs itself.
2. Manage stress levels - Excess stress increases the production of the stress hormone cortisol which has to be broken down by the liver, therefore adding burden.
3. Hydrate - water is needed for all bodily processes and the body is made up of mostly water. All of our chemical reactions take place in a fluid too.
4. Eat cruciferous vegetables - these encourage the detoxification process
5. Eliminate Liver burdening foods - processed food, alcohol, refined sugar
toxic exposure - personal care products, cleaning/household chemicals, smoking
1 white cabbage, cored and thinly sliced
3 cups of kale, shredded
1 cup chopped coriander
1 large carrot, grated
2 cups rocket
1 cup grated radish
½ cup cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
Handful of cashews for garnish
½ cup cashew nuts, soaked in warm water for 1 hour.
Juice of ½ lemon
1 tsp. Dijon mustard
2 garlic cloves
2 tbsp. nutritional yeast
1 tsp. salt
50ml extra virgin olive oil
1. Add all the vegetables into a large bowl.
2. Make the dressing by blending all the ingredients.
3. Pour the dressing on the slaw and serve immediately or keep in an airtight container for 2-3 days.
If you would like to get in touch for a personalised consultation, please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org or simply book your 15 minute free call.