Sweet potatoes are an excellent Immune system supporter and anti-inflammatory due to the richness in minerals and vitamins
Hummus is one of my ALL-time
favourite foods. It is made with a base of chickpeas and tahini but can be
mixed up with a variety of different add ins. I love adding in a veggie
(because it is all about getting in those veggies) Roasting the vegetables
gives a delicious depth of flavour.
In this recipe I am adding roasted sweet potato but I also love making caramelised onion, roasted red pepper, spiced carrot or Mexican corn hummus.
This recipe is naturally vegan and gluten free and it will last up to a week in the fridge.
1 cup sweet potato, peeled and cut into cubes
1 tin chickpeas, drained & rinsed
1 tbsp olive oil
1/2 cup tahini
1 clove garlic
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp ground cumin
Pinch of salt
Juice of 1 lemon
1/2 cup filtered water
1. Toss the cubed sweet potato with olive oil and salt and roast in the oven for 25-30 minutes or until soft.
2. Drain and rinse the chickpeas. Remove the skin by gently rolling the chickpeas in a wet tea towel. (removing the skins is what makes the hummus extra creamy)
3. Add the chickpeas, sweet potato and all the other ingredients into a food processor and blend for 1 minute. You may want to add more water to create desired consistency.
4. Serve with homemade flaxseed crackers, toasted pitta, or chopped veggies.
MY FAVOURITE WAYS TO EAT HUMMUS
- With crackers as a simple snack
- With cut up veggies for a light and refreshing snack
- As a spread on toast or in sandwiches
- As a dip with burgers, falafel salad bowls (OR ANY MEAL)
DID YOU MAKE THIS? Tag @rootedliving1 or use hashtag #rootedliving