Protein bars can be a great convenient high protein snack for kids, athletes, gym goers and those with a busy lifestyles. However often the shop bought bars are not only extremely expensive but are often processed and filled with artificial sweeteners that can irritate your gut and may be contributing to your digestive issues.
Making your own bars is a quick simple way to get in a high protein snack. I would recommend using a good quality plant protein powder such as @formnutrition or @rawsport ( plus they have some delicious flavours) These are great for a speedy breakfast or anytime snack.
These contain around 18g protein per square.
Vegan Almond Butter Bars
1 ¼ cup nut butter
5 medjool dates
1/3 cup hemp seeds
1/3 cup pumpkin seeds
1/3 cup cashew nuts
½ cup protein powder (Salted Caramel)
½ tin aquafaba (from chickpeas) ( You could 1/2 cup egg whites for higher protein)
1. Add almond butter and pitted dates to a food processer and pulse a few times.
2. Using an electric whisk whip the aquafaba until light and fluffy in a separate bowl.
3. Then add pumpkin seeds, chia seeds, cashews, protein powder and pulse until all ingredients are combined and look like a cookie dough.
4. Line a standard loaf pan with parchment paper. Transfer mixture into a pan and spread with the back of a spoon, then flatten evenly.
Transfer to the freezer to chill for at least
10-15 minutes to firm up.
6. Option to drizzle melted chocolate over the top. I would highly recommend :)