As the weather is turning, and the darker nights are approaching, I am craving warming comfort dinners, and this simple easy mid-week stew definitely hits the spot. I have already made it twice this week, and I know it’s going to feature regularly in my house.
I love that you can throw all the ingredients in one pot (so minimal washing up) and it takes less than 25 minutes. It also contains 5 portions of veggies, herbs, spices protein & fibre from the beans. I like serving mine alongside one of my flaxseed bread. rolls https://www.rootedliving.co.uk/blog/flaxseed-buns
· 1 onion, thinly chopped
· 2 cloves of garlic
· 1 red pepper, thinly sliced
· ¼ cup sundried tomatoes
· 1 tin chopped tomato
· 2 tbsp tomato puree
· 1 tin mixed beans (I used chickpeas, kidney beans, butter beans)
· 1 tsp paprika
· 1 tsp ground coriander· Pinch of salt
· 4 cups of kale
1. Fry the onion and garlic in a saucepan (I cooked mine in a teaspoon of coconut oil)
2. Add the sliced peppers, sun-dried tomatoes and spices. (You may need to add a dash of water)
3. Once the onions and peppers are soft, add the chopped tomatoes, tomato purée, mixed beans and allow to simmer at a reduce heat.
4. Meanwhile toss the kale in olive oil, salt and pepper and place on a baking tray in a hot oven for 10 minutes.
5. Add 2 cups of kale (or frozen spinach) to the stew and give a good mix (you may want to add water to achieve desired consistency.
6. To serve, add fresh coriander, diced spring onions, kale chips and a good dollop of coconut yogurt.